The mission of the Society will be to promote sustainable national development, particularly through the more active participation of a better informed public.
AIMS & OBJECTS:
The objects of the society which will be non-profit making shall be:
- To help intensify the efforts of the independent, sector in India, towards the attainment of environmentally sound development.
- To encourage citizen participation in community affairs and develop a consciousness of civic responsibilities.
- To evolve communication and media concepts and educational materials appropriate for creating awareness of social and cultural requirement and processes in India.
- To produce booklets, films, videotapes, radio and television programmes and either audio-visual materials for use by radio and television networks and educational and allied institutions.
- To initiate action-oriented research projects on the impact of current development and media programmes on environmental quality.
- To submit reports and recommendations to governmental and other authorities regarding policies for sustainable development and sound environmental management.
- A particular activity of the Society will be to prepare for the 1992 United Nations Conference on Environment and development, and in particular, to
- To act as a forum for institutions and individuals outside the formal government sector for the sharing and evolution or thinking about environmental issues;
- To mobilize the inputs from the independent sector for the Conference;
- To create, through public hearings, newsletter, seminars, possibilities for the 'public’ to participate in the 1992 process.
- To help evolve an Indian and, to the extent possible, a third world stand on global issues of environmental management.
- To prepare and publish reports and document as contributions to the Conference